Who We Are
Brighton High School is located near the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains about ten miles south of Salt Lake City. The school serves a suburban area with approximate boundaries from 6600 South to 9400 South and 2000 East to 3455 East.Brighton’s well-established community is an asset to the school. Residents are actively involved with the school and show strong support for Brighton High programs and activities. The Brighton High faculty is committed to see that students consistently move toward their educational potential.
- Brighton High serves about 2100 students in grades 9 to 12.
- The school, which opened in 1969, is designed with two octagonal sections housing self contained classrooms and a full auditorium. A gymnasium and support areas, along with a 20,000 sq. ft outbuilding, complete the building, which is situated on the brow of a hill.
- School is in session for 180 days a year on a traditional nine month calendar using a five period trimester schedule. Each trimester class is worth .5 credits. The school day goes from 7:50 a.m. until 2:25 p.m.
- The teacher/pupil ratio is 1 to 26.5, but actual class sizes vary.
- All of Brighton’s teachers have bachelor’s degrees and a majority have also earned master’s or doctor’s degrees.
- A broad-based curriculum is offered with a variety of classes guaranteed to pique student interest.
- The staff is organized by departments. Teachers work in teams to assure that students benefit from the best talents of each teacher.
- Advanced placement classes and honors courses are available to students.
- A complete resource program is available to help students with special needs.
- The P.A.W.S. (Positive Alternatives Within School) program offers supports to at-risk students.
- A fully-qualified staff of counselors, a school psychologist, and itinerant speech and language specialist provide services to meet student needs. Hearing and vision programs are also provided.
- Career and Technical Education programs are offered in business and marketing, family and consumer science, computers, auto mechanics, and woodworking.
- The Brighton High staff is consistently working to improve through observations, evaluations, and conferences with administrators. The Brighton goal is to create the best teachers and best educational climate possible.
- A strong Parent/Teacher/Student Association and School Community Council addresses special school needs and strengthens programs through volunteer committee work.
- Brighton High dress standards require neat, clean hair and clothing. Bare midriffs, short shorts and other inappropriate attire are not permitted. The BHS dance dress code policy is listed on our website.
- Bus service is provided for students living outside a two-mile radius of the school.
- Brighton High has been State All Sports Champion on many occasions since 1980, annually winning state championships in several sports.